The Piece Hall has announced its spectacular festive programme for 2022, which is set to see the iconic heritage site transformed into a wintry wonderland.
This year, the Halifax venue will play host to a stunning ice-skating rink and a series of stellar performances and heart-warming activities, including Winter Makers Markets, live gigs, classical music, comedy shows, brass bands, mini raves, craft workshops and festive family films.
Once again, the venue’s 66,000 sq ft courtyard will capture the spirit of Christmas and set the scene for a magical season with twinkling lights, a beautiful vintage carousel and the annual landmark Christmas tree. This year, an outdoor skating rink – a synthetic Glice rink which is more environmentally-friendly than traditional ice – is set to be the sparkling centrepiece from 1 – 31 December.
For those looking for a chance to dance, 80s legend and Spandau Ballet star Martin Kemp has been confirmed as a headliner and is just one of dozens of top acts who will be performing in the Spiegeltent. This magnificent wooden structure with a lavishly-decorated intimate performance space and dancefloor will play host to a full month of entertainment for all the family this festive season.
Martin Kemp will be taking to the decks for an uplifting set of iconic 80s classics to get everybody moving and singing along, from Duran Duran and George Michael to Chaka Khan and Michael Jackson. Other acts performing over the festive period include a debut from Radio 2 presenter and Garage don DJ Spooney; West End star and Britain’s Got Talent finalist Ben Hart; and on the back of their highly-acclaimed album “Dear Scott”, Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band.
Nicky Chance-Thompson DL, CEO of The Piece Hall Trust, said:
“We really want to share the magic this Christmas. The festive season is all about family, friends and coming together to make memories, and we’ve worked really hard to make sure our winter programme has something for everyone!
“There will be a full month of top-class shows in the Spiegeltent and an ice rink in the courtyard for the first time since the refurbishment. What’s more, our fabulous Markets are back and we’re bringing in our biggest tree yet! So whether you’re partying, shopping independently for gifts or just want to experience a great festive day out, The Piece Hall will definitely get you in the Christmas spirit.”
The build-up to Christmas also sees the return of the ever-popular Winter Makers Market for two festive shopping weekends. 50 local stalls will be full of gifts and goodies on Friday 11–Sunday 13 November and Friday 18–Sunday 20 November with different traders each weekend. Visitors can expect a bustling and cheery atmosphere as they sample the produce of pop-up food and drink stalls, alongside the chance to buy unique local artisan products and presents. Local acoustic musicians will also be providing an uplifting seasonal soundtrack.
Open every day, The Piece Hall’s resident independent traders continue to offer an unrivalled selection of gifts and have everything needed for underneath the tree. Shoppers can browse and buy everything from original art works to toys, books and games, unique keepsakes, stylish home wear and the finest current and vintage fashion, plus jewellery, crystals, handmade chocolates and sweet treats. And when they’re all shopped-out, visitors can snuggle-up with a mulled wine or hot chocolate at one of The Piece Hall’s fantastic resident bars and restaurants.
For those planning to embrace a handmade Christmas, there will be plenty of arts and crafts sessions to take part in during the season, including Jesmonite casting to learn how to make beautiful and unique gifts, as well as glass decorations and textile wreath workshops to adorn homes and share season’s greetings in the build up to the big day.
So, whether it’s festive family fun, a glide on the ice, gifts galore, DJs and dancing or sophisticated soirees with friends, The Piece Hall has Christmas all wrapped-up!
Tickets for all Christmas events and workshops will go on general sale from 10am on Friday 30 September via The Piece Hall website, with a member pre-sale for a selection of shows taking place at 10am on Thursday 29 September.
The Full Programme:
- Winter Makers Market – 11, 12, 13, 18, 19 & 20 November, 10am-6pm Free
- SKATE – 1 to 31 December, various times Tickets Adult £14 / Child £9.50. Each one-hour skating session will include free skate hire and can accommodate up to 40 people.
- Martin Kemp Back to the 80s – 1 December, 8pm Tickets £25 (18+)
- EEVAH – 2 December, 8pm Tickets £12.50 (18+)
- Mark Thompson’s Spectacular Science Show – 3 December, 12.30pm & 3pm Tickets Adult £15 / Child £13
- Black Cat Cabaret Festive Soiree – 3 December, 8pm Tickets £22 (18+)
- Graeme Park Long Live House – 4 December, 8pm Tickets £22 (18+)
- Comedy with Lea Roberts and Friends – 7 December, 8pm Tickets £14 (18+)
- The Comedy Store – 8 December, 7.30pm Tickets £15
- Loafers presents Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band – 9 December, 8pm Tickets £22 (18+)
- Jump, Jive & Wail – 10 December, 2.30pm Tickets £9
- Massaoke – 10 December, 8pm Tickets £20
- Hammonds Band – 11 December, 4pm, Tickets £13
- David Robertshaw – 11 December, 7.30pm Tickets £15
- Barbara Nice – 12 December, 7.30pm Tickets £13 Barbara Nice (18+)
- Ben Hart – 13 December, 7.30pm Tickets £14
- Justin Moorhouse Stretch & Think – 14 December, 7.30pm Tickets £15
- The Landlubbers – 15 December, 8pm Tickets £10 (18+)
- Loafers presents Apollo Junction – 16 December, 8pm Tickets £15 (18+)
- White Christmas – 17 December, 10am Tickets £4-£6
- Silent Disco Family Edition – 17 December, 2.30pm Tickets £9
- Guilty Pleasures – 17 December, 8pm Tickets £20 (18+)
- The Polar Express – 18 December, 10am Tickets £4-£6
- Elland Silver Band – 18 December, 12.30pm & 3.30pm Tickets £13
- The King Cush Band – 18 December, 8pm Tickets £22 (18+)
- Frozen Sing-along – 19 December, 10.30am Tickets £4-£6
- DJ Spoony – 19 December, 8pm Tickets £22
- The Muppets Christmas Carol – 20 December, 10.30am Tickets £4-£6
- Craig Charles – 20 December, 8pm Tickets £22 (18+)
- Elf – 21 December, 10.30am Tickets £4-£6
- Halifax Choral Society with the Black Dyke Band – 21 December, 7pm Tickets £13
- Arthur Christmas – 22 December, 10.30am Tickets £4-£6
- Musical Bingo – 22 December, 8pm Tickets £16 (18+)
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas – 23 December, 10.30am Tickets £4-£6
- ToDieFor Winter Disco – 23 December, 8pm Tickets £10 (18+)
- It’s A Wonderful Life – 24 December, 10am Tickets £4-£6
- Halifax Minster Choir – 24 December, 12.30pm Free
- Mark Waker & The Collective Singers – 24 December, 3.30pm Tickets £7
- Abba Revival – 28 December Show 1: 5.30pm Tickets £15 Show 2: 8pm Tickets £17.50 – followed by a DJ set until late (14+)
- Loafers & Soul Brew presents Northern Soul Christmas Party – 29 December, 8pm Tickets £10 (18+)
- Ellie Sax – 30 December, 8pm Tickets £24
- Mini Family Rave with BoomChikkaBoom – 31 December, 12pm & 2.30pm Tickets Adult £12 / Child £9.50
- Dale Castell’s Our House NYE – 31 December, 8pm Tickets £32 (18+)
- Dale Castell’s Our House NYD – 1 January Tickets 6pm Tickets £28 (18+)