Runcorn Shopping City are excited to confirm brand new retailers to the centre, including new occupants for the recently vacated wiko unit – as well as lots of exciting refits and new looks to their existing stores.
It has been confirmed that Poundstretcher will be taking on the unit previously held by wilko in time for Christmas, official signage went up on 20th December in time for the grand opening on 23rd December. The store will be offering top brands at great value prices and even have ‘The Pet Hut’ range in the new store for owners of dogs, cats, small pets and wild birds to enjoy. After December’s grand opening, they are also ready to host a big January sale for shoppers across their range of Household Products, Food and Drinks, Homeware, Everyday Essentials and Electrical Goods.
In addition to this, the centre has this week begun welcoming appointments at the NHS Phase 2 clinics following its multi million pound refit of a former B&M store. Sale Lab fashion has opened their fifth store, taking a 25,000 sq ft space selling top brands such as Tommy Hilfiger, Vans, Fila, North Face, Belstaff and many more at discounted prices. Specsavers has undergone a full store refit which is now complete for shoppers to enjoy and receive leading eyecare and audiology support from expert staff.
A Care UK charity shop will be taking a 5,000 sq ft unit in January next year, and Boots will undergo a full store refit in February, there will also be ‘Beds, Sofas and Furniture’ opening in 2024 and relocation of the Vape Shop into former Ladbrokes. PoppinGO Bubble Tea will also be setting up a new kiosk in Community Square offering delicious bubble tea drinks.
Dave Pearman, Shopping Centre Manager at Runcorn Shopping City, said:
“We have worked hard to secure a replacement for the former wilko unit in Runcorn. In many cases destinations up and down the country will go well into next year trying to fill former units for the chain which leaves a huge gap on our high streets – so we are delighted to be able to offer a new store just in time for Christmas. Choice, value and local convenience couldn’t be more important for customers right now and Poundstretcher offers this in abundance.
“Despite the struggles of the high street we are delighted to be able to say that at Shopping City we are beating the trends in town centres. In fact, footfall this year has stayed consistently high, engagement with customers has been positive as they can see things changing with a number of exciting new businesses entering the space. We’ve been going from strength to strength!
“The centre has been busy at the tail-end of the year securing new lettings and is delighted to confirm 55 trading businesses at the close of this year.”
Runcorn Shopping City has had a phenomenally successful year, some key highlights include:
– New Citizen’s Advice opening – replacing the town’s old advice centre which closed during Covid, providing locals with support and advice on their doorstep.
– NHS Health Hub launched in the centre – first of its kind in the country offering 7,800 appointments per year. This is now complemented by a diagnostics centre which has just finished phase two of its development offering essential accessible services such as blood tests, MRI scanning, out of hour GP and much more.
– Filming of new ITV crime drama ‘Protection’, due to air early 2024.
– Successful ‘Swap Shop’ event to help families struggling with cost of living and uniform expenses for the new school year. The ‘Swap Shop’ had over 750 items donated by locals and visitors to the centre, and over 350 items were given away for free over three days just in time for back to school.
– The ‘Swap Shop’ sparked a brand new, permanent recycling scheme: ‘The Drop Off’.
– Comic Con event, over 16,800 visitors to the two-day event where people were able to come along and enjoy comic book inspired fun.
– Newly launched ‘Kids Corner’; a open soft play area for the public to use. Themed, colourful and will host groups and small events there as a dedicated space for family fun events throughout the year.
– Official Christmas light switch on, a day full of festive fun saw the community come together for the big tree’s light switch on, visits to Santa’s grotto, photo opportunities with the elves and delicious food offerings.
“We have also had other interested parties looking to come into Shopping City. Despite high streets facing their inevitable challenges, we are working very hard to reposition Runcorn Shopping City with what people need and enjoy, and to continue to serve the community.
“It has been a busy 2023, and we look forward to 2024!”
For more information about What’s On at the centre please visit their website.